Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Strategy

I will review this page before each session.
I will set rules here, but they will change as I learn and understand more.  Nothing here is set in stone, it is simply a place to hold the basics.

 
  • General play
    • Bet for VALUE, not for Folding Equity
  • Preflop
    • I am playing a Raise or Fold game.  If I can't raise it, fold it.  It's okay to fold.
      • Exceptions
        • I am oop hu.  It is best to call here.
        • I have a marginal hand in position and there are 3+ limpers in the pot.  I can get good odds to see a cheap flop with hands like low pairs, low suited connectors, mid unsuited connectors.
  • General Postflop 
    • If I have one pair and villain ck/c, ck/r oop: FOLD unless villain AF >= 2.5, or notes say capable of semibluff turn.
    • If wa/wb oop: ck/c, ck/c, b/f.  The river bet is against presumed honest villain.  If villain is tricky or spewy I should ck/c.
  • Flop
    • I have the lead (This will usually be the case, since I'm usually only playing if I raised PF)
      • Bet
        • Exception: if I know the flop killed me and I'm against 3+ villains, I can ck/f
    • Villain has the lead
      • Check
        • Villain "must" bet, so I can ck/r if I'm oop with a hand or draw.
        • Exception: passive villain or free card could kill me.
      • Remember that villain is going to bet air here lot.  I will usually have odds to call with any reasonable hand or draw or overcards.  And some of those I should raise.
  • Turn
  • River
    • Why am I betting?  Will I get a better hand to fold?  Will I get a worse hand to call?  Will my opponent bluff with a worse hand?  If I'm only going to be called by better hands, check.
    • Why am I folding?  How big is the pot?  Is my opponent capable of bluffing?
 
Session Review notes:
  • VALUE VALUE VALUE
  • Back off the throttle - I'm spewing
  • Take more notes
  • Don't assume my opponents are thinking past level 2. Shintai believes that they're rarely thinking past level 1 here, but I'm still not convinced.
  • Pick better hands for bluff-catching.
  • I misplayed more on the hands that I won than the hands that I lost. And I've gotten passive again in the wrong places.
  • I need to go back to a raise or fold preflop strategy
  • Low flops I should only bet for value, not for folding equity. Players don't fold them.
  • This is limit, damnit, quit trying to exercise pot control, quit calling oop when you should raise. It's a half a bet. Get it in there.
  • Quit open limping in the hopes that others will come along. Somehow they never do.
  • Still need to talk hand ranges with shintai
  • Don't slow down on made flushes, no matter how low, unless you face more than one street of aggression

No comments:

Post a Comment